Tuesday 13 November 2012

ROCKY C4T Boots

Over the last nine months I've been rotating two sets of ROCKY C4T's while in a mountainous/desert terrain (three guesses where).  I picked up the boots based on my absolute love of the ROCKY S2V Boots, which are my go to do everything boots.  I initially loved the boots, they were light weight, comfortable and cool on the feet.  Perfect for an environment where its up to 52 C (125.6 F) during the day.  I also loved that ROCKY used the same amazing inserts seen in the S2V.  The quality of the build and materials that went into these boots was exceptional as per with ROCKY.

My issues with the boots started with the training mentality, they were designed to be used as a runner rather then a tactical boot.  This is never more visible then when you look at the tread, or rather lack of tread on the boots.  In cold weather with any ice or on smooth surfaces the boots would slip and if you wanted to cover rough terrain you'll feel every stone, pebble and curb almost like a barefoot runner.

My second issue was about five months in.  The sole/tread section on both sets started to separate from the boot on the sides, despite rotating between two pairs.  The suede and canvas used to construct the boots held up aside from mildew and discolouring due to perspiration and periodic high levels of humidity.

In general the boots did what they were designed to do, but not for as long as I would expect from a ROCKY Product.  If I had to suggest two changes to the design I would forgo the reduced weight for a slightly more robust tread (not much) and a way of ensuring reduced damage from moisture both on the inside and outside.

CONSTRUCTION 7/10:  I'm constantly impressed by the materials ROCKY uses and that the basic construction of these boots reminds me of the old jungle/desert boots minus the rock hard soles.

DESIGN 6/10:  Again the boot its self was well designed but I would like to see a more aggressive tread, something that would lend to military training instead of running on a road.

DURABILITY 4/10:  My biggest issue was how fast the boot broke down.  If the limited tread didn't wear down it actually bushed back into the sole of the boot.

OVERALL IMPRESSION 6/10:  Would I buy these again?  Yes, I would but more as a set of backups boots or to wear in the gym because they just didn't hold up the way I wanted them to.  If you are looking for a training boot giver her these will do and for the price you can't complain.  If you're looking for something to fight in or tack into the tree line I'd find a different boot.

pictures are coming, camera needs a charge. 

No comments:

Post a Comment