Thursday 3 January 2013

YOU GOT SOME GATOR

GATOR CAM PAINT HOW TO - just had someone ask about the custom paint on the Flat Top Mossberg Tactical 22Lr. We've always known it as GATOR and it's very simple to achieve. You will need the following: 




1. The object you want to paint; 2. 
3 to 4 spray cans of paint (I use KRYLON FUSION as it holds up better than most of its competition and after 7 days offers a better chip resistant finish);
3. An old mesh laundry bag (likely to find at a surplus shop or CANX/PX); and 
4. Make sure you have a dedicated place with good ventilation cause the fumes are wicked.

I start with a base coat of my primary colour (TAN). I do two coats and let it dry between each coat.





I cut the mesh laundry bag down both sides so it can be laid flat over the surface of what ever I'm painting. If the mesh isn't touching a dry surface you won't get the effect you're looking for.



With all my parts (disassembled) laid out, the base coats dry, and the mesh covering the parts I start with a second colour (BROWN) and do large strips, then I use my third colour (GREEN) and do the same thing ensuring I leave areas of the base coat visible.



Once the pint is dry I remove the mesh and using the colour from the base coat (TAN) I hold it about 2 to 3 feet away and fleck the parts lightly which down plays the darker colours and almost seems to blend or fade the colours together.

I don't like to use black personally as it's not a colour found in most natural environments and any shadows cast on the surface of the GATOR CAM will do the job nicely.

Now this can be done with any assortment of colours and looks pretty slick. If you're going to use a colour like "PINK" you'll need to use a primer. I would also suggest that if you are intent on doing it that way, base coat with a white or light grey and use a colour like "PINK" as your final coat to make it pop. I did this on a RUGER 10/22 for a friends little girl and she loved it. I've also finished a shotgun for a buddy using white, yellow, black, and hunter orange.

It takes about an hour to do if you rush it, or you can do your base coat and leave it over night for better results.


No comments:

Post a Comment