Friday 22 June 2012

Mystery Ranch 3 Day Assault Pack


      There was awhile where I'll admit, I was of the opinion that Mystery Ranch (MR) was one of the companies where you payed for the name and the product came second.  Then I got my hands on one that belonged to a buddy of mine, so I read about the product some more and checked out the specs.  I'll be the first to say sorry guys, was I wrong!  I picked up a new 3 Day Assault Pack (3DAP) tri-zip.  This may be the first time I haven't needed to seal the seams in a pack since I was 14 years old.  I pulled it out of the box re adjusted it and took it for a day trip with the familia and then followed that up with an 8 km hike in the tree line the next day.  Comfort is not an issue with or without the plate pads installed and the more weight I added the better it felt on my back and shoulders.  As far as I'm concerned this is the pack to end all.  It's my replacement for everything, this and my MEC day pack is all I'll need for small runners.


When you open the 3 DAP the first thing you'll notice is the internal molle attachment points with a pocket below it on the back.  On each wing (left and right) are two pockets large enough to carry extra water bladders and two small mesh (heavy quality) pockets on each side.  The top of the pack has two pockets, one big enough for maps and a field message pad while the other has small organization pockets in it for kit and enough room for snacks and fast grabs right on top.


The pack was more then capable of carrying my 45 lbs son and more, I had it up to about 80 lbs and it felt fine on my back.  The padding on the shoulder straps and back were great and the chest strap helped maintain support of weight evenly.  On each side is a pocket big enough for a Camel-bak or Nalgene Bottle on the bottom with molle webbing above it so you can mount external pouches.


Mystery Ranch was nice enough to include a large velcro patch big enough for a flag and pers data patch.  The one shown here is about a 4 inch by 4 inch patch.  Additionally the reversed zippers are great for keeping water out, and since it's been raining for the last 6 days that has been great.

CONSTRUCTION 9/10:  The materials used by Mystery Ranch are great and the quality of work in the assembly is apparent right out of the box.

DESIGN 8/10:  The design of the 3 DAP is something new to the market.  The use of reversed zippers with a tri-zipper design for ease of access in a compact size is the first I've seen in the market, the only thing close is the Camel-bak which is a joint venture with Mystery Ranch.

DURABILITY 9/10:  I haven't had the Mystery Ranch 3 DAP to long now but I can see this pack lasting pretty much until I retire from my current employment. 

OVERALL IMPRESSION 10/10:  WOW, nice work, don't you wish you had one?  I think I'll be sleeping with mine on.  The only thing I have to complain about is the cost.  On average the 3 DAP cost about $100.00 more then most comparable tactical packs starting at $345.00 USD and topping off at $409.00 before you change colours or add upgrades, then the shipping not the fault of the manufacturer, starts at $80.00 so by the time I finished it cost about $450.00 minus the upgraded belt system (next purchase).  I'm expecting this one to out last my field career and be my hiking buddy for sometime after that.  If you want more detail, Gear Whores Anonymous and Imminent Threat Solutions have really good wright ups on the pack or you can always read about it on the Mystery Ranch site.


I'm thinking there mite be a NICE FRAME in my future.

Pictures to follow.

No comments:

Post a Comment