Friday 29 June 2012

No Gear Can Fix It, No Kit Will Stop The Screaming

     We here at Carnage Tactical are supporters of the troops no matter where they go or what they do.  We our selves have served or do currently serve and have a shared perspective on how things look once you've been deployed and come home so please do read the following.


     Today It's not bout the gucci kit or the shiny kit syndrome (SKS) to day we are talking about Operational Stress Injuries (OSI), things like increased anxieties, anger and in some cases Post Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD).  These are the issues that effect troops and their families for years after the fight is over.  These are the scares and injuries you can't see in the flesh and bones of those who come home, this is the hurt and pain that lead to families shattering, suicides as well as alcohol and drug problems.  Now this is just a small look at the stereotypical issues you read about in the media or hear from some politician during the voting years.


    When I came home on leave during my last deployment I (with the help of my wife) found this group on Facebook called "Military Minds."  This is a group started by a Canadian Service Member with PTSD who is using his experiences to get those with issues to talk about what is wrong and helping to find ways to support them, not fix, but truly support those who need the help.


     Now we can't make anyone go to the Military Minds site, I can't even tell you I personally suffer from any form(s) of OSI.  What I can say is I have served with some of the best soldiers, sailors and airmen, I have lived with some of my best friends, my brothers and their families through some of the "lesser" forms of OSI right up to PTSD.  We need to make sure the old suck it up buttercup and ruck on ideals don't apply any more and that we get those who need it, the help they deserve and the respect they have earned as well.


     What I do ask right now is that you take that 5 to 10 minuets and actually read some of the Military Minds site and understand that sometimes giving ones life isn't the greatest price a soldier can pay, it could be living with the pain and anger and shame they are unwilling to admit to or can't fight alone.

     Here are some Canadian resources to help you understand OSI and PTSD. If anyone can offer a list of good American and British ones I'll post those as well.

Military Minds
Operational Stress Injuries Social Support 
Vetrans Affairs Canada
The Royal
St Joseph's Health Care London

No comments:

Post a Comment