Tuesday 13 August 2013

HOW DID I END UP WITH AN (NORTH EASTERN ARMS) NEA-15 12.5” CARBINE?

I purchased a Norinco CQ-A 5.56 10.5” back in early March 2013.  I have personally always been a huge supporter of Norinco firearms and have not been swayed by the countless negative comments across the internet which continues to spout drivel regarding Chinese cheap or Norinco knock-offs. I purchased the CQ-A at the “Gun Dealer” in McAdam, NB, not because it was the cheapest (pricewise), I purchased it because of a combination of cost and the fact that I have always had exceptionally positive experiences with each Norinco firearm I’ve purchased.  However, this time I ended up with a lemon. 

Here is my Norinco CQ-A 5.56, 10.5" post renovation.

After the first few hundred rounds I began to experience a series of double feeds.  After trouble-shooting a variety of possible causes, it became clear that this issue would not be easily fixed by me.  I returned to the staff at the Gun Dealer and after a quick examination by their in-house gunsmith, they concluded that it was factory defect and as the firearm was fully covered under factory warranty, offered to either fix or replace it.  I found myself very conflicted at that moment.  I was supposed to shoot the following week in a friendly competition and if I sent it for repair, it would not be back for several weeks.  I had spent a considerable amount of coin dressing my rifle out in a full ensemble of MAGPUL accessories and when my rifle was not chewing up two rounds at a time it was hammering tacks as far as ease of use and accuracy.  But to add insult to injury, my buddy who bought the exact same type of rifle at the same time from the same dealer, has had no issues whatsoever from his CQ-A 5.56.  I would have gladly purchased another but unfortunately they were out of stock and had no idea as to when new ones would arrive.  I really needed a rifle to shoot for the following week so I pushed down the sick feeling in my stomach, swallowed the bile gathering at the back of my throat and handed over my credit card and purchased a NEA-15 12.5”.

Here is my new little jewel.  The NEA-15, 12.5"
The Gun Dealer had three variants of the NEA-15 for me to choose from.  They had a 7.5”, 12.5” and a 14.5”.  Although NEA also manufactures a 10.5” and 18” variant, I had to choose from the available stock.  7.5” was a little too short, and 14.5” was a little longer then I wanted as most of my shooting is CQB/Gunfighter drills which my CQ-A 10.5” was ideally suited.  So I went with the 12.5”.  Now before I go any further, let me clarify that any of the sizes can be used for CQB/Gunfighter drills depending on personal preferences.  I’ll write a more detailed review at a later time but to sum it up, I have put approximately 1800 rounds down the spout since purchasing it and have had zero stoppages and am the proud owner of a Canadian made firearm and a two inch grouping at 25-50 yards.  Has this experience soured my opinions regarding Norinco firearms?  Not at all, I have run across a lot of lemons from some of the big North American AR manufactures such as Bushmaster, Stag Arms, Rock River Arms etc.  I can say with certainty, had this not happened I most likely would not have purchased an NEA firearm simply because I had not heard a lot about them but since I have, I couldn’t be happier with its performance.

6 comments:

  1. Awesome! I'm looking at the CQ-A and the NEA-15 12.5" right now. Given your hands on experience with both. If you were given a completely fresh start and the option of the CQ-A or the NEA-15. Would you go for the NEA-15 again?

    ReplyDelete
  2. What was the original defect?

    ReplyDelete
  3. NEA IS COMPLETE GARBAGE. HORRIBLE BUILD QUALITY

    ReplyDelete
  4. Own a NEA 15 and couldn't be happier. This is a great rifle at a great price and Canadian made to boot. I doubt "Anonymous" has even fired one although he seems to think he's an expert on the AR-15.

    ReplyDelete
  5. glock magazineGlock 19 Gen 5 ; Merk, Glock ; Kaliber, 9mm 9x19 ; Trekkersysteem, Safe action met trigger pull ; Schiet Modus, Semi-Auto.

    ReplyDelete